1. —What’s your ______, Rick?
—I like collecting coins.
A. age B. name C. job D. hobby
2. ______ old man behind Mary is ______ university teacher.
A. An; an B. A; the C. The; a D. The; an
3. This model plane mine. It’s made by ______.
A. myself B. yourself C. himself D. herself
4. This is Mr. White’s ______ visit to Beijing. He has been there twice before.
A. two B. second C. three D. third
5. This skirt is too ______. Would you show me a cheaper one?
A. personal B. special C. famous D. expensive
6. — ______ is it from here to the railway station?
—About ten kilometers.
A. How far B. How fast C. How soon D. How often
7. They won the gold medal for China so we’re proud ______ them.
A. in B. on C. of D. for
8. Mike didn’t get wet because his teacher ______ him an umbrella.
A. lent B. discovered C. borrowed D. taught
9. He hopes ______ better, but never works hard.
A. how to study B. to how study C. to study how D. to study
10. —______ you turn down your radio, please?
—Yes, I can.
A. May B. Need C. Must D. Can
11. The teacher asked Ben ______ a difficult question in class.
A. answer B. answering C. to answer D. answered
12. Last Sunday my aunt ______ at home with me. We were watching TV all day.
A. was B. were C. in D. are
13. They came here to have a meeting on time, ______?
A. didn’t they B. did they C. don’t they D. do they
14. Do you know ______ the Capital Museum?
A. when will they visit B. when they will visit
C. when did they visit D. when they visited
15. —We will go camping tomorrow, and I’d like you to come.
— ______ I have an important meeting to attend that day. Thank you just the same.
A. Congratulations! B. Why not? C. What a pity! D. A good job.
One day a rich woman lost her purse with a lot of money in it. So she made a 16 , “If anybody finds my purse and 17 it to me, I’ll give half the money to him.”
A poor man 18 the purse near a shop. He sent it back to the woman, but the rich woman 19 . “There was an expensive ring in my purse besides money,” said the woman. “I won’t give you half the money in my purse until you return it to me.” “But I’ve never seen an expensive ring in 20 purse.” said the man.
They began to quarrel. The man became 21 and took her to a judge. 22 the judge heard what had happened to them, he said to the woman, “I’m sure that you have lost a purse, and there is an expensive ring in it. But there is 23 a lot of money in this purse. So I don’t think it’s yours. 24 some time. Maybe somebody will give your purse back.”
Then the judge 25 to the man and said, “Take the purse home. If the owner doesn’t come to get it back in two days, it will be yours.”
16. A. face B. mistake C. promise D. conversation
17. A. gets B. shows C. points D. returns
18. A. had B. knew C. heard D. found
19. A. kept her word B. changed her mind C. tried her best D. pulled her down
20. A. your B. her C. his D. my
21. A. sad B. angry C. excited D. worried
22. A. Before B. Though C. After D. If
23. A. only B. truly C. nearly D. really
24. A. Wait for B. Listen to C. Look after D. Talk about
25. A. ran B. came C. went D. turned
Wanted: Pet Sitter
Do you like dogs? Do you have free time at the weekend? We need a pet sitter(临时照看宠物者) for our dog. Hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Pay is ￡2 each hour.
For the job, you will watch our dog, feed it and walk with it.
You will work in our house. We live in London, near Victoria station.
Please call 0207 9226216. Ask for Ms Smith.
Away for the weekend?
Going on holiday?
I’m 15 years old and have experience caring for dogs and cats.
Your home or mine.
26. Who wants to find a pet sitter for the dog?
A. Ms Smith. B. Adam.
C. Ms Smith’s parents. D. Adam’s brother
27. How many hours does the pet sitter work from Saturday to Sunday?
A. 10 B. 15 C. 20 D. 25
28. The pet sitter will get ______ for working every weekend.
A. ￡30 B. ￡40 C. ￡50 D. ￡60
29. What is NOT the pet sitter’s job?
A. Taking care of the dog. B. Taking a walk with the dog.
C. Giving food to the dog. D. Cleaning the dog’s house.
30. Which of the following is true?
A. Adam asks for a job as a pet sitter.
B. The pet sitter will work in his or her own house.
C. Ms Smith lives far away from Victoria station.
D. Adam is not good at looking after dogs or cats.
Baseball is one of the favorite sports in the USA. Children play baseball in sports fields or parks.
At summer picnics, there is often an informal baseball game. Boys and girls, young and old take turns to bat. Each team has 9 players.
The baseball season goes from April to September. During this time, baseball matches are shown on TV and members of the important baseball teams become America’s heroes. At the end of the season the two top teams play against each other. Many baseball fans go along to watch the game. Millions of others listen to the radio and watch television. People seem to talk only about the game. Even long after it is over, they still talk about the result and the players.
American football is perhaps the most popular sport in the USA. The football season begins when the baseball season ends. More people are interested in football than baseball. When there is an important game, thousands of people sit beside the radio or in front of the television set to hear the result.
31. According to the short passage, which is WRONG?
A. Boys and girls like baseball. B. Baseball is played in the open air.
C. A base ball match has nine players. D. Children sometimes play baseball in parks.
32. American people play baseball in April, ______ and September.
A. May, June, July, August B. March, May, July, August
C. January, June, October, November D. February, May, July, December
33. What happens at the end of the baseball season?
A. People talk only about football games. B. Many baseball fans become members of top teams.
C. A lot of people join the games. D. Two top teams play a wonderful baseball game.
34. ______ follows the baseball season in the USA.
A. The basketball season B. The football season
C. A baseball match D. A football match
35. This passage mainly tells us something about ______.
A. the football season in the USA
B. football is more interesting than baseball in the USA
C. the difference between baseball and football
D. the baseball season in the USA
A.I plan to watch TV.
B.It’s a good way to save money.
C.What kind of books are you going to buy?
D.What are you going to do?
E.I like short stories best.
F.It’s really a great book in America.
G.It’s quite boring.
A: Hi, Kathy! Do you have a plan for tomorrow?
B: Not yet. 36
A: I plan to go to the book store. Would you like to go with me?
B: Fine. 37
A: Well, I want to buy some story books.
B: That’s great. What kind of story books do you like best?
A: 38 What about you?
B: I’d like to read stories like Gong with the Wind.
A: I know that book. 39
B: You are right. Have you read any books by young writers born in the 1980s?
A: Oh, I like reading their writings on the Internet.
B: Haha! 40